Monday, January 21, 2008

sketchcrawl SF

A friend suggested we go to sketchcrawl this past weekend. It was a great idea! The last time I went was in 2005 I think. I loved it, but I never managed to do another one until now. This one was held in Portsmouth Square in Chinatown. A sizable crowd showed up (hey look! We all have New Year's resolutions about drawing more!) and it was really fun.

A lot of talented artists out there validated my obsession with hording pencils and sketchbooks. It was great to see how different artists interpreted the same subject matter. Some people stylized heavily, others played it straight. Some focused on people, others on environment. I was inspired to play more in my composition, subject matter, drawing style and also to work on color skills.

I am also humbled by how focused and well laid out a lot of artists' work was. I would like to improve my layout skills, so that's a resolution too. (Let's just put that in my big pile of goals that I have...hey look laundry!) A lot of people drew these 4 old ladies on the bench. They were famous that day.

2 comments:

James Chiang said...

great to see you out doodlin'!
nice sketches' Lise..

keep it up!

Anthony S Rivero said...

Hi Lisa. I haven't spoken with you in ages. Nice to see you're plugging away at the drawing, as am I... New Year's resolutions and all! Check out my blog and drop me a line when you get a chance.

-Anthony